Seven Tips For Choosing a Home Inspection Professional
If you are buying a house, that old Latin phrase “Caveat Emptor” applies more than perhaps at any other time in your life. Translated, the phrase means “Buyer Beware,” and in today’s especially tough economic times you want to be sure you’re not taking on a home that could become a money pit. That’s what a home inspection professional is for! Here is a little bit about the profession along with seven tips for choosing the right guy for the job.
In a nutshell, a home inspector is responsible for discovering whether or not a home has any defects in its: core structures, electrical and plumbing systems, heating and cooling systems, and so forth. It is not his job to rate the condition of carpeting, kitchen appliances, wallpaper, etc. His focus is on essential soundness only.
1. The home inspector should meet all laws and regulations appertaining to his profession in your state.
2. Make sure to ask about his level of experience: the more the better!
3. Professional affiliations and certifications: again, the more the better!
4. Choose an inspector who takes advantage of all the latest technologies for more accurate analysis.
5. He should be state-licensed for your protection.
6. He should be willing to offer a detailed comprehensive written report.
7. Don’t always go with the cheapest home inspection company: usually you get what you pay for.
When it comes to such a large investment as a home, doesn’t it make sense to do a little comparison research before choosing a home inspection company? A little extra care now could save you a whole lot of money later.