How to Get Rid of Possums With Ease
Usually, possums are not aggressive, but they can become aggressive when they catch a disease. There are many ways of getting rid of possums. Given below are a few steps you can take in order to keep possums out.
Cover up the foundation vents. Usually, possums get into a house via the dryer vents. So, blocking these can prevent them from sneaking into your home.
· You can block the openings with vent covers made of metal. These covers have enough space for smoke and steam to escape; however, possums cannot pass through them.
Trim off tree branches. Actually, possums can get into your house through the roof by creating holes. So, you should consider trimming tall plants and tree branches.
· The distance between the branches and your roof should be at least 8 to 10 feet.
· Placing climbing plants close to the house is not a good idea.
Protect decks that are low. Possums love to hide under lower decks; therefore, you should protect these with a kind of metal barrier.
· You can use a 6.35 mm of grid screening
· Around the deck perimeter, you should make a trench with a depth of 12 inches.
· You should then put the screening in that trench. Now, the barrier must extend to the bottom of the deck from the bottom of hole.
· Now, fill up the trench with dirt in order to keep the screen from jolts.
· Next, connect the screen top with the deck. It is even better if you make use of staples.
Make a transient one-way exit to let the trapped possums escape. The diameter of the exit should be 4-6 inches. You should keep the door open for a couple of days prior to blocking it.
Seal other open holes. There can be many other holes or cracks in your house through which possums can get into your house. You should block these spaces and holes as well. Examples of these include attic vents, holes in window screens, deck lattices and chimneys, just to name a few.
If the above tricks do not work for you, or you are unfamiliar with possums, then you should turn to an expert pest controller in your locality. Just keep in mind not taking actions against possums can only result in a lot of loss. So, you should either try to get rid of them yourself of have someone else to do it for you. This call is up to you.